Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an all India examination administered and conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science and seven Indian Institutes of Technology on behalf of the National Coordination Board (NCB) – GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), and Government of India.
The GATE committee, which comprises of representatives from these administering institutes, is the sole authority for regulating the examination and declaring the results.
GATE is conducted through the constitution of Eight Zones. The zones and the corresponding administrative institutes are:
- Zone-1: Indian Institute of Science Bangalore
- Zone-2: Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
- Zone-3: Indian Institute of Technology Delhi
- Zone-4: Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati
- Zone-5: Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
- Zone-6: Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
- Zone-7: Indian Institute of Technology Madras
- Zone-8: Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee
Admission to postgraduate programmes with MHRD and some other government scholarships/ assistantships in engineering colleges/institutes is open to those who qualify through GATE.
Candidates are eligible for admission to Master/Doctoral programmes in Engineering/ Technology/ Architecture as well as for Doctoral programmes in relevant branches of Science with MHRD or other government scholarships/ assistantships.
Those who wish to do GATE must passes any one of the following qualifications.
- Candidates with Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/ Technology/ Architecture (4 years after 10+2) and those who are in the final or pre-final year of such programmes.
- Candidates with Master’s degree in any branch of Science/ Mathematics/ Statistics/ Computer Applications.
- Candidates in the second or higher year of the Four-year Integrated Master degree programme (Post-B.Sc.) in Engineering/ Technology or in the third or higher year of Five-year Integrated Master degree programme and Dual Degree programme in Engineering/ Technology.
- Candidates with qualifications obtained through examinations conducted by professional societies recognised by UPSC/AICTE (e.g. AMIE by IE(I), AMICE(I) by the Institute of Civil Engineers (India)-ICE(I)) as equivalent to B.E./B.Tech. Those who have completed section A or equivalent of such professional courses are also eligible.
If you possess any qualification equivalent to the above, still then you are eligible to apply for GATE.
To avail the scholarship, the candidate must secure admission to such a postgraduate programme, as per the prevailing procedure of the admitting institution.
Candidates with Master’s degree in Engineering/ Technology/ Architecture may seek admission to relevant PhD programmes with scholarship/ assistantship without appearing in the GATE examination.
How to Apply?
Candidate can apply with online Application process only.
Application Fee Details for GATE
For General & OBC candidates, Rs. 1500/- only
For women Candidate Rs. 750/- only
For SC/ST/PD Candidate Rs. 750/- only
Candidates can pay application fee either by online payment mode or offline payment mode (with bank challan via SBI or syndicate Bank)
For GATE , all candidates’ related information will be available in a single GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS). Candidates have to register and fill the application via ONLINE mode only by accessing any of the zonal GATE websites of IISc and seven IITs. Candidates must upload his/her photograph and signature during online application. The application process is complete only when a print out of the filled ONLINE application with the candidate’s signature and a good quality photograph affixed in the appropriate place is received by the respective GATE offices along with necessary documents, if any.
NOTE: Application forms are not available for sale anywhere else.
DOWNLOADABLE ADMIT CARD
Admit cards will NOT be sent by e-mail/post. Admit cards can ONLY be downloaded from the zonal GATE websites. The candidate has to bring the printed admit card to the test center along with at least one original (not photocopied / scanned copy) and valid (not expired) photo identification.
NOTE: One of the following photo identifications is ONLY permitted: Driving license, Passport, PAN Card, Voter ID, Aadhaar UID, College ID, Employee identification card, or a notarized affidavit with Photo, Signature, Date of Birth and Residential Address. The details of this ID proof have to be given while filling the online application.
- Candidates are advised to have a digital photograph and scanned signature prior to starting the filling of application and these should be uploaded when applying Online. Otherwise they have to submit it later.
- SC/ST and Disability Certificate should be obtained from appropriate authority. The Certificate should also be scanned so that it can be uploaded when applying online.
NOTE: The candidate is expected to appear in a paper appropriate to the discipline of his/her qualifying degree. The candidate is, however, free to choose any paper according to his/her admission plan, keeping in mind the eligibility criteria of the institutions in which he/she wishes to seek admission.